History & Values
WELCOME FROM THE CEO
Thank you for visiting the Dan Lawrie Insurance web site! If you are an existing client, I hope that you’ll find it a valuable insurance resource to return to again and again.
Changes and updates are made monthly. If you’re not a client yet, I invite you to take a look at Dan Lawrie Insurance here as a starting point and then to contact us to learn more about auto, home, life, business, group benefits and other insurance products and services that may interest you. Your satisfaction means everything to us!
Our Core Values
People are at the heart of any company’s ability to succeed, people who share the same values and purpose.
Our shared Core Values guide us in everything we do for our clients as their trusted advisor.
Passion for our Clients
- Our clients’ needs and expectations drive everything we do.
- We realize that we are dealing with their financial security and act accordingly in all we do.
- We make commitments with care and we follow through.
- We build positive relationships through outstanding service.
Honesty & Integrity
- We are professionals and our reputation is built on ethical behaviour.
- We exhibit unwavering courage to do what is right.
- We treat sensitive information confidentially.
- We take ownership and accountability for all that we do.
- We promote relationships of trust & respect.
- We admit when we don’t know and commit to finding a solution.
- We foster a continuous learning environment in which each of us can realize out fullest potential and excel as part of a successful team.
- We embrace quality standards and continuous improvement.
- We strive to do it right the first time.
- We take intense pride in our work and how we serve our clients.
- We are committed to sustained financial strength and best practices applications.
- Through innovation and continuous improvement we will continue to be ranked in the top 5% of brokerages in Canada.
- We will continue to anticipate our clients needs in all areas of insurance and financial services.
- We provide our clients with industry leading expertise from a team of highly qualified specialists in each discipline.
Our operating practices and business strategies will change constantly in response to a changing world and our clients’ needs, but our Core Values are not subject to change. They are constant. They are timeless and enduring, and we passionately believe in them.
Dan Lawrie, CLU, C.F.S.B
Who We Are
Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers was originally established in November 1978 as Dan Lawrie Insurance Agency and was part of an existing life insurance brokerage operation. On June 1, 1982, this arrangement was changed and Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers officially became an independent general insurance operation with 5 staff members providing personal and commercial insurance services.
Celebrating our 35th year and now ranked in the top 5% of brokerages in Canada, Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers is a privately owned and operated insurance brokerage with over 95 employees specializing in all areas of personal and corporate property/casualty insurance, employee benefits, financial services and group retirement products.
We are a fiercely independent insurance brokerage with no financial ties to any of our insuring partners, allowing us to be truly objective in meeting the needs of our clients.
Over 10,000 individuals, families and companies depend on our services and expertise. In addition to personal insurance clients, our clientele includes all types of retail, wholesale and manufacturing firms, as well as contractors, associations, professional and service organizations.
They range in size from small family operated businesses to large international firms. We are a full-service insurance & financial services brokerage, and are proud to be 100% Canadian owned and operated, with no financial obligations to any of our insuring partners.
Through our integrated financial services department we provide, in addition to our extensive property and casualty services, a complete range of life, health, mutual funds, R.R.S.P.’s, financial and estate planning products and services. Our corporate financial services include employee benefits, pension plans and executive financial planning. We are also a leading provider of Credit Insurance services.
We’re proud to be involved in the communities where we do business. Through our active participation in various types of organizations such as Rotary, City Kidz, Big Brothers, United Way, Crime Stoppers, Chambers of Commerce, etc., we work hard at giving something back to those communities, in which we live and work.
Our success continues to be built on the people at DLIB and the relationships of trust that we build with clients and the community as a whole.
Our relationships with our insuring partners are solid and work with over 60 Canadian and International insurance companies giving us full access to aligning clients with the right insurer for the long term.
- SOUND, PROFESSIONAL ADVICE
- OUTSTANDING, PERSONAL SERVICE
- LONG-TERM, COMPETITIVE PRICING
- YOUR SATISFACTION MEANS EVERYTHING TO US!
Gold Seal Broker
Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers Ltd. Achieves
Gold Standard Broker Certification
Toronto, ON – CW Partners are pleased to announce that Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers Ltd. of Hamilton, Ontario has achieved Gold Standard Broker status.
Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers Ltd., joins three other Canadian brokerages that attained Gold Standard Broker status in 2008.
Gold Standard Brokers meet rigorous international guidelines for best practices in all aspects of broker management. The process to become a Gold Standard Broker requires a scored third party operations audit of the following components of a broker’s office:
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Customer Service
- Organization Capacity
- Producer and CSR Activity
Brokers who achieve a score of 90% or better on their overall weighted audit are awarded Gold Standard Broker certification as a sign of their outstanding operations integrity. In order to maintain Gold Standard Broker status, a brokerage must continue to achieve a 90% or better score during review audits conducted every two years. “The audit process assists in planning and organizing a broker’s operations. In addition, we think the achievement of Gold Standard Broker certification sends a signal of quality and trust to a broker’s clients and suppliers,” says Eric Walker, Managing Audit Principal of Risk Management Standards.
CW Partners wish to congratulate Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers Ltd., on their achievement.
Risk Management Standards Inc. (RMS) is a specialist in brokerage risk management consulting and operations auditing. In addition to the Gold Standard Broker program, RMS offers training programs and consulting advice to help brokerages achieve a high standard of operations and improve errors and omissions avoidance.
What Is A Broker?
What is an Independent Insurance Broker?
We are an Independent Insurance Broker, which means we act as professional insurance advisors operating an independent business to serve all your insurance needs. Our dedicated employees are continually trained through IBAO (Insurance Brokers Association of Ontario) and other RIBO (Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario) approved programs. We are experts at simplifying the intricacies of insurance policies, sharing our knowledge and presenting our best recommendations to you, the customer. Our office represents several different insurance companies and we are, therefore, able to shop around and negotiate the best premiums matched to the best coverage for your protection. Simply put we work with you to help you make a more informed decision.
The success of our independent brokerages relies solely upon satisfying your insurance needs. Therefore, it is always in our best interest to continually provide you with prompt and personal service whenever you are purchasing or updating your insurance. If you are ever caught in the unfortunate circumstance of having to make a claim, we will always be by your side. We will do our best to assist you quickly and to make sure you are treated fairly by the insurance company.
The Broker Advantage
Why is it a wise decision to use the services of an independent insurance broker? Working with an independent broker offers many advantages:
With A Broker Your Needs Take Priority
Agents are authorized to sell only the products of the company they work for. An independent broker, on the other hand, maintains relationships with several insurance companies. He or she will carefully assess your insurance needs and then search for the product that best meets your requirements. If your circumstances demand it, your broker will negotiate a tailor-made policy for you.
Your broker will make every effort to ensure you receive the most extensive coverage possible for the price paid. In fact, IBAO member brokers are bound by IBAO’s Code of Ethics to obtain the best possible coverage for their clients.
Simply put, working with a broker allows you to purchase customized insurance that would be impossible to access on your own, or to comparison shop for the product that gives you the best possible coverage.
Brokers Are Experienced in Assisting You Should a Loss Occur
Independent brokers pride themselves on offering personalized, caring service to their clients. They understand the confusion and stress felt when a loss occurs. They will help guide you through the claims process.
If you ask your broker for help, you can rest assured that you won’t reach one stranger after another at a call centre. Instead, you will be supported through a stressful period by your broker and his or her knowledgeable staff individuals who have taken the time to build trust in their business relationships with you.
Licensed brokers must demonstrate a full complement of technical and personal skills as mandated by the Registered Insurance Brokers of Ontario (RIBO). Established by the Ontario government in 1981, RIBO is a self-governing body that regulates the licensing, professional competence, ethical conduct, and insurance-related financial obligations of all general insurance brokers in Ontario.
To remain licensed, a broker must meet RIBO requirements in daily practice and obtain additional education credits annually. IBAO offers all the programs necessary for brokers to meet those standards.
Brokers Protect Your Privacy
Both the ethical code of conduct and laws under which licensed brokers operate stipulate that they are obligated to uphold your privacy. When you work with an independent broker, confidentiality is guaranteed.
Identifying an IBAO Broker
To ensure your broker maintains the highest standard of professional competence and conduct, just look for our symbol. IBAO members are proud to be included amongst the brokers allowed to use this symbol. It is a registered trademark of the Insurance Brokers Association of Canada (IBAC) ALL independent insurance brokers in Canada who are members of their provincial brokers association are IBAC members as well. Whenever you see this symbol, rest assured you are receiving advice from a trained professional committed to providing the following services:
- Unbiased advice
- A choice of products
- Advocacy on your behalf with insurance companies
- Personalized assistance whenever needed
Remember, “Your Best Insurance Is An Insurance Broker”
We are committed to providing our clients with excellent service. Doing business with a Property and Casualty insurance broker involves providing information about yourself, so protection of your personal information is one of our highest priorities.
Our brokerage and the insurance industry have a solid track record of respecting your right to privacy and safeguarding your personal information. As a result of Federal legislation, we’ve further strengthened our privacy commitment by informing you of why and how we collect, use and disclose your personal information. You can be assured that we’ll only handle your personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
This is a brief summary of our privacy practices.
Why do we collect personal information?
When you first become a client or whenever you acquire or renew a product from us, we need to collect some of your personal information. Common purposes for which we collect your personal information are to:
- Enable us to acquire or renew an insurance policy for you;
- Assist you and assess your ongoing needs for insurance;
- Assess your need for other products, such as financial products, and to offer them to you;
- Ensure your information is accurate and up-to-date; and
- Protect us both against error or fraud.
What personal information do we collect?
Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual client and relates specifically to you. Depending on the purpose(s) for which we need to collect it, we may ask for the following personal information about you including:
- Basic information such as your name, address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail address, birthdate and marital status.
- Claims history
- Credit and past payment records
- Driver’s record
- Details about your property such as the value of your home and its contents
- Medical information such as any condition that may affect the operation of a vehicle
- Employment information
We may obtain this information from:
- Insurance companies
- Other insurance brokers or agents
- Credit organizations
- Motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities
- Financial institutions
- Medical professionals
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
For many of the purposes identified above, we will need to share your personal information with others in order to serve your needs. These other parties commonly include:
- Insurance companies;
- Other insurance brokers or agents;
- Credit organizations;
- Professionals working with us such as adjusters or lawyers;
- Financial institutions. For example, the organization that carries your mortgage.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information and right to privacy, we will:
- Not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purpose other than those that we identify to you;
- Keep your personal information only for as long as we need it to fulfill the stated purpose or as required by law;
- Maintain your personal information in as accurate, complete and up-to-date a form as possible;
- Safeguard your personal information to the best of our ability;
- Respond to any request you may make to access or correct the personal information we hold about you;
- Obtain the appropriate consent from you for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information;
We may obtain your express consent or we may determine that consent has been implied by the circumstances.
- We might ask you for your express consent in writing, for example in a signed consent or application form;
- We may ask for your express consent in person or over the telephone;
- We may determine that by seeking insurance through our organization, your consent has been implied for us to deal with your personal information in a reasonable manner;
There are also legal exceptions in which we will not need to obtain your consent or explain the purposes for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information. For example, this could apply when there is an emergency situation, or if it is necessary for your protection or ours.
- You can control how we handle your personal information.
We want you to know that you do have choices in this matter. You could refuse to allow us to obtain, use or share your personal information or you could also withdraw a previously given consent at any time. However by doing that, depending on the situation, you may be limiting or even preventing our ability to provide you with the product or service you desire.
For example, if you do not allow us to obtain information about your driving record, it is unlikely that we will be able to provide you with auto insurance.
We’ll be happy to discuss particular situations with you to help you with your decision.
CONTACT INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
Dan Lawrie Insurance Brokers is committed to treating you with respect and courtesy and to providing the highest level of service.
Please contact our Privacy Officer if you:
- Wish to access your personal information;
- Wish to change your consent to the ways in which we may collect, use or disclose your personal information;
- Have a complaint about our privacy policies, or the manner in which we’ve handled your personal information;
- Have any other questions about our privacy policies, wish to obtain a copy of our Personal Information Policy & Procedure Handbook, or request additional information;
We will respond to you promptly and do our utmost to resolve your concerns. To find out more about Federal privacy laws, please contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at 1-800-282-1376 or visit their website www.privcom.gc.ca.
Every night, millions of Canadians can sleep easy.
From coast to beautiful coast, the majority of Canadians depend on their Insurance Broker to advise them on their insurance needs and they sleep well because of it.
None of this would be possible without being able to work in the full knowledge that we can depend on the services of Canada’s highest caliber of insurance carriers to follow through with the coverage of our customers need, the value they seek and the attention they deserve.
We are proud to count so many of the country’s renowned and trustworthy insurance companies as our business partners.
Thanks to such partnerships, our clients can sleep easy, knowing that they, their companies, their families and all they possess, remain securely protected.